Thursday, October 2, 2008

Reading Post 2: Pet Custody

This week I read a story that may seem a little weird to some people. The article talked about how after an unmarried couple splits up, who gets the pet? Many people have been going through custody battles to try to get their dog or cat. A survey was taken, and 25% of matrimonial lawyers said that they have been getting more and more cases on pet custody. Some cases have to go to court, because both sides want their pet so badly. The article says that courts are still trying to decide how to handle these cases, but they are getting close to standardizing it. This article reminded me of the book My Sister's Keeper, because the character also goes through an unusual custody battle. I think that this article was definitely worth the read!
Andrea L.

Seligson, Hannah. "Couple splits up- Pet custody battle begins". CNN.com. <http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/10/02/lw.pet.custody/index.html>

4 comments:

christina said...

LOVE THAT BOOK! its so sad, but really makes you think about things going on in the world. I think you made a really cool connection. I mean people see things so differently. One person reading the article who has never had a pet might find it rediculous what these people are going through just for custody. Someone else who was raised with a pet could certainly understand the trama. I think people don't notice different things going on enough. It could be a really rough and dramatic journey to get a pet that you shared with someone else, equally loving it.

Jessie D said...

wow, that sure is weird. I have an aunt and uncle who just got a dog and it makes me wonder... But uh yeah, good comparison to the book My Sister's Keeper. I haven't actually read it, but I know the basic plot line and you sound like you know what your talking about. My guess is that that article generally applies to dogs and cats, because although I could be wrong, I just can't see someone getting a court case over a fish. At the same time though I am not too surprised about this article just because I know from personnal expierence that divorced parents can take things a little out of hand sometimes.

Sara A.'s EE10 Blog said...

Andrea, this is such an interesting topic and I guess I've never really thought about this in divorce. It is also interesting that lawyers get so many calls on pet custody... who would've known! You also made a very good connection at the end.

Shannon H. said...

To me this kind of makes sense. To some people, their pets are like their children. Our society doesn't find it weird to battle for our children, so why is it atypical to fight for our pets? I love that book too and it was great that you could find that comparison