Thursday, October 9, 2008

Outside Reading Post 3: The Path Poem

This week I decided to do things differently. I looked around online, and found a poem called "The Path". The poem talks about the many aspects of Buddhism, and basically sumarizes it in a poetic form. It talks about thr four truths, the eightfold path, desire, nirvana, the Buddha, and many more important topics in Buddhism. It also explains each of these things and how they relate to the religion. It was really interesting reading about this, since we are researching Buddhism in class. I would suggest this poem to someone who doesn't know much about Buddhism, because it is a great summary of the religion, and is presented in an interesting way. It was definetly worth the read! -Andrea L.

“The Path”. Poet Seers. October 9, 2008.
.

3 comments:

Jessie D said...

Way to mix it up! I agree- that does sound interesting! I couldn't find the poem online but whatever. ha. ok so, I think that its cool how the poem is called "the path" because much of the Buddhist religion has to do with following a path to a goal, nirvanna. Siddhartha also follows a path in Herme Hesse's book. I've also noticed that many of the things that you say that are in the poem are also an active part of Siddhartha's path. Hmm...

mmoettus said...

That is really cool that you chose to read a poem about Buddhism. I'm actually not a big fan of poetry but sometimes i really like it. poetry often sums things up, as well as give them a personal feeling. I also think it's really cool how you related it to our Siddhartha unit.

Ted M. said...

I like your idea on reading something that directly relates to our class. It might help persuade people to read if you added quotes and used a variety of adjectives. I think a poem would be a good way to express Buddhism, and I find most religions are express in poetry.