Thursday, January 22, 2009

Outside reading post 6: Golden Girl

The end of my biography ends with what everyone is doing after the Olympics. While some are already focusing on the next big meet, Natalie is thinking differently. She said "I don't really have the time constraints that I did before the last Olympics, and since I've already gotten that gold, I don't have that hanging over my head" (283). Natalie was very excited to have some time to relax. She could now focus more on her studies, and a lot of pressure had been taken off her shoulders, since she had won the gold she had been working for all her life. Natalie's coach Teri Mckeever had similar thoughts. She told Michael Silver that "On the flight home from Athens, I told myself that first and foremost, I'm going to get a life" (276). Teri was ready to relax too. She wanted to catch up with her family, who mostly lives out of state. Athens also inspired Teri to do some more traveling, and focus less on swimming, and more on the people who inspire her daily.

1 comment:

Carolynnn said...

Wow Andrea, you would read a book about swimming...
I do think that Natalie does teach us all a lesson, that we should stick to our goals but also keep our priorities straight.