Thursday, December 4, 2008

Q2 Question

In the play “All My Sons” by Arthur Miller, many choices are made by the characters that are considered ethical and unethical. Two characters who seem to have different opinions on ethics are Joe Keller and Chris Keller. Joe believes that if you make a choice that is unethical, it can be excused if you did it for your family. This is shown when he says “Chris, I did it for you, it was a chance and I took it for you” (70). He knowingly shipped out parts for planes that would not work, and he did it so his business would not be shut down. He wanted his son Chris to take over the business. On the other hand, Chris could care less about the business. He wanted what was best for society, and that meant turning in his father for what his father had done. Chris said to his mother “I’m taking him” (84). Even though it was his father, Chris planned on turned his father into prison for what he had done to those pilots. The fact that Joe was doing it for Chris had no impact on Chris; Chris believed he had to do what was right.
I believe that what Joe did was wrong. I’m all for supporting your family and taking care of them. But there are definitely circumstances where family does not come first. If it hurts the society, then you should make choices that would help society. You have to think of not just your family, but of your friends and neighbors and coworkers. Sometimes it is more important to put them first.

3 comments:

Monica G said...

Most people believe your opinion-- what Joe did was wrong, and I liked your point of helping the neighbors and coworkers. What I'm trying to figure out is if Joe could have done something that still harmed society but didn't harm his coworker. Is it possible for Joe to have gotten out of a jail sentence without blaming Steve? Then he wouldn't be hurting his friends, neighbors, and coworkers, and yet he'd be hurting society. What is society, anyway? I commend you for having a definite opinion-- I'm certainly lost. I very much like your post though, for its conclusion-- "Sometimes it is more important to put friends and neighbors and coworkers first." Brilliant discussion point, and it clearly expressed what you want to express! (that's my issue;)

Paige J. said...

I really liked how you gave the view points of both Joe and Chris rather than just sticking to one character. I also like how you had a definite opinion. I think it's very hard to make this decision and I have no idea what I would do if I was faced with a decision this large.

Sara A.'s EE10 Blog said...

Andrea, I really liked your thoughts on the question. I especially liked your first example where Joe is talking to Chris. That is a really strong quote and shows that family was very important. I agree with you on what Joe did was wrong. But, if you were in his shoes I'm sure it would've been a very tough decision either way.